Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Peace off and piss out!

So I would assume that most of the people on the internet have some sort of a playlist on thier MP3 player, or their various online music players. I guess it's pretty average now, right? well I certainly do. And today I was reminded of a sermon I heard a long time ago.


You see I was a teenager in mid-high school. (I can hear you now, 8/9 years isn't that long! Well cool it old timer. Not really, I would love to hear some older opinions on this, but still, don't give me shit for when I was born and whether that equates to the option of an opinion or not)

At that time I was only just beginning to be allowed to secular music. (secular = not Christian mainstream) I was fighting to be allowed to listen to No Doubt, possibly the least harmful band who has ever written lyrics, ever. And for the love of the Holy Ghost, listening to ACDC made you homosexual, Black Sabbath made you a devil worshiper, and Judas Priest went ahead and condemned you to hell with no passing Go and no collecting $200. This was long before I was introduced to Lynyrd Skynyrd or Pynk Floyd or Sublime or 311. This was when I was a blank slate who was just about sick of being blank. Well this preacher, a very popular one might I add, stated that teenagers listen to music to form feelings they want, and therefore are defined by the music they listen to, and become stereotypes. (Joshua Harris, I'm pretty sure. It was definately someone at Aquire the Fire)

And so began my own personal journey through adult life and thinking for myself, in a sense. So I guess this blog will be about music, and the phases you go through, and how that relates to life in general. Are you defined by the original culture you are exposed to? Or are you defined by every culture you are exposed to? Or do you submerge yourself in various atmospheres based on the person you are currently? Or maybe, just maybe, do you define the people around you? Do they become you, or do you become them? Or some morbid mix?

I started out in the carefully morally defined atmosphere of the Contemporary Christian music genre. This life was planned out for me since my own birth, and basically defined by my parents own personal cultural choices, along with the people they chose to throw into my life. Now at his first point the nature vs. nurture battle begins. Was I influenced more by my parents beliefs or, the goof balls they typically associated with? God only knows. A little of both I believe, but it gets more complicated.

I was forced into a very stale genre. One with absolutely no selling points whatsoever. It didn't take me long to realize that much better music was being made outside of what I was allowed to listen to. So I got myself an alarm clock with a radio and went to town. for the first time in my sheltered life I had access to Country and Rock and Techno and PBR. I naturally gravitated to Rock, the devils music. At the same time in my personal life I was bucking the restraints of the elected religious leadership. So I was branded as a rebel.

And I became one. After years of bull shit I finally saw the light. And to top it all off I had a great sound track to pull it off. I was the rebel they defined me as. My parents tried to stop it but by the time they realized how pissed off I was it was to late to switch churches and play it all off as pesky kids being kids. For some reason they forgot the very same rock they listened to when they were my age, and exactly how they reacted to their own parents religion. So was it the rock that corrupted me? Did I define myself through the music I began listening to, or was it all just an outward sign of how I was really pissed at the Douchebags I was supposed to respect as leaders?

I began listening to such nightmares as "Life is a Highway" and "No Rain". Clearly the lyrical works of some sort of AntiChrist. But the story continues. As the years passed I became even more sick of what I viewed a hypocrisy in the organized church. I began using drugs, for the first time at sixteen, a relatively late age. But lest I be viewed as a pussy, I made up for lost time. Once I realized that drugs would not turn me into some sort of Nun raping, child molesting, lady killer overnight, I experimented. So kill me.

Around this time is when I got into Tool and Sublime and 311. Not to mention the son of the devil himself, Bob Marley. A simple misstep away from becoming homeless and murdering my family for crack. So when I started smoking pot, was Mr. Marley the reason I almost killed my relatives in their sleep, or was he simply a symptom of the times? Could I have possibly enjoyed raggae because I was feeling mellow? I sincerely doubt it.

A few years later, after getting an alcoholism induced felony I was sentenced to drug classes. I somehow managed to pass these drug classes, despite my horrid affliction, and make about fifty dollars a week off of my piss, due to the fact that it was clean, and the tests were given on the honor system. (Fuck honor, I'm payin' $100 a week for those classes)

Some point after that I get really angry and get into Heavy Metal. Go fig. It was probably Marylin Manson's fault. And then I got into Southern Rock. And at one stupid ass point in time, whilst I was living with dealers, I even liked ICP. Possibly the worst group of white boys to ever disgrace music with their alleged music.

So after describing my lame ass life how do you feel. It is probably different for everyone, but I personally found that my taste stems from my own topical point of view. Some/many people are easily influenced, and therefore decide their own lives based on music. I'm not that dude. I have clearly demonstrated a love for various music styles based on how I feel at any given moment!



My end point, there are a lot of different people out there. You may be easily defined by your surroundings, but your kids might not, and visa versa. I have been, during weird points in my life, but I have also picked some off beat shit to listen to because that is just how I felt right then.

I cuss. In previous times I didn't. You may not, but you might have actually uttered a swear or two in the past. I do drugs, but maybe your parents did too! I've fucked some skanky bitches, but are you a saint? This world takes different strokes for different folks. Don't let the FCC tell me or you what is right. (but mostly me) And don't let any other form of government. (ie: your religion) If you don't like my words, than piss off. And if I don't like yours, I'll piss off as well. Peace off planet, and piss out.

No comments: